2023 STATE OF MICHIGAN DANCE COMPETITION RULES
Please perform routines that display your strongest style. Judges will not discriminate against any style.
1) This event will be held at the Crisler Center, located at 333 E. Stadium, Ann Arbor, MI 48109. Each team will perform and compete in front of the judges.
2) You can choose to enter 1-6 categories. Teams may enter 1-6 categories at NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE! There is a flat fee of $450/team. There is an additional fee for solos, duets, trios and small groups.
3) Pom: Emphasis on synchronization and visual effect. Moves should be very sharp, clean and precise. Poms must be used for at least 80% of the performance.
Jazz: Emphasis on dance technique, difficulty and creativity.
Kick: Emphasis on variety of kick series, control, uniformity of height, timing, and team stamina. 75% of the routine must incorporate kick patterns. There is no minimum or maximum number of kicks you must incorporate.
Lyrical: Routine should demonstrate balance, extension, isolations and control utilizing the lyrics or mood of the music. Dance should tell the story of the music.
Modern/Contemporary: A contemporary or abstract style of dance. May be based on other disciplines & principles of dance, including choreographer’s vision. Modern dance involves freedom of movement with no limitation using angular lines with legs, arms, and body to create unusual and interesting effects.
Hip-Hop: Routines that incorporate street style movements with an emphasis on execution, style, creativity, body isolations and control, rhythm, uniformity and musical interpretation.
Tap: Routines consisting of tap technique focusing on rhythms, musicality and crisp sounds.
4) School Routines must be a minimum of 1:30 (one minute and thirty seconds) and may not exceed 3:00 (three minutes). (All-Star and Studio Teams: Maximum time limit is 3 minutes for all groups and solos). Timing will begin with the first note of music. Music may either be started upon your entrance or after the team has entered the floor. Timing will end when the music stops. Studio production routines with 30+ members must not exceed 7 minutes.
5) You will receive a link one week prior to the competition to upload your music. Please bring a CD or an iPod as a backup.
6) No props are allowed other than poms. All-star and studio teams are allowed to use props as long as the prop
has padding underneath to protect the floor. All props will be pre-screened prior to floor entry
7) You may include a kickline in the pom or jazz category but it is not required. There is no limit as to the number of kicks you may incorporate.
8) Body drops, knee drops, and dive rolls are not allowed. Further, the hurdler position or sitting with both feet back is prohibited. Please make sure that at least one foot touches the ground after performing a leap, jump, turn, or toetouch before starting another skill. (All-star and Studio Teams: Please refer to http://www.usasf.net for specific rules on tumbling.)
9) Teams should choreograph routines for family viewing. (Suggestive moves, music content, and costuming should be appropriate)
10) Teams will follow all USASF Rules and Regulations. Visit www.usasf.net for a complete list of rules. We will be using National Federation rules. A 5 point per judge penalty will be assessed to any team violating any of the specific rules listed above. Questions on illegal moves may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
11) Coaches are responsible for legally purchasing their own music. Music must be purchased through iTunes or a licensed provider. If anyone questions the validity of your music, please be prepared to show proof of purchase to the competition director.
ONCE WE RECEIVE YOUR REGISTRATION FORM, WE WILL SEND YOU A SAMPLE SCORE SHEET.
TEN DAYS PRIOR TO THE EVENT, YOU WILL RECEIVE A SCHEDULE, A MEDICAL RELEASE FORM, AND DIRECTIONS TO THE COMPETITION.
Based on the number of teams registered for each division, we may split divisions into small team and large team categories.
We can’t wait to see you and your amazing routines!
Download the Official Competition Rules
Click here to register and pay online!
2 thoughts on “Official Competition Rules”
How do I get date information for next year?
Thank you for reaching out! Typically the State of Michigan Dance Competition is the 2nd Sunday in March. The plan is for March 10th, 2024. We have to wait for the venue to confirm in September after basketball schedules are released. We look forward to seeing you and your team!